Justify Your MTLI Attendance
When pitching MTLI attendance to your administration, here are a few things to consider to justify the travel/training expense:
- Focus on what you will specifically bring back to the organization as a return on the investment.
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation and Q&A to your colleagues to share what you learned. That way others in your unit will get the benefits of your attendance, too.
- Share the syllabus and speaker handouts with your colleagues. As an attendee, you have unlimited access to materials posted by speakers.
- Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the training.
- Be sure to check out the registration page where all the various rates are listed to see if you qualify for any of the lower rates or discounts.
Some specific details you should try to incorporate include:
- What sessions have particular relevance to your organization’s work?
- Tools (authoring tools, content management systems, etc.)
- Technologies (XML, DITA, etc.)
- Processes (structured writing, single-sourcing, etc.)
- MTLI is the perfect opportunity during for you to compare your organizational practices with other industry practices.
- Which training sessions will immediately benefit your group?
- Which sessions are designed to teach attendees a special skill and/or help your team overcome current/future challenges?