Welcome to the AAMS News Room
MedEvac Transport = SPEED. ACCESS. QUALITY OF PATIENT CARE
Did you know…???
- The MedEvac industry is unique in that it combines two major industries – Aviation and Healthcare – in the delivery of patient care to the public.
- Every 90 seconds in the United States alone, a medEvac helicopter responds responds to a call to help a person in need.
- Almost 50 million Americans live more than an hour away from a Level 1 or 2 trauma center.
- MedEvac helicopters transport approximately 400,000 patients annually.
- MedEvac fixed-wing aircraft transport an additional 100,000+ patients over longer distances annually.
- In the United States, there are more than 800 MedEvac helicopters staffed and equipped to transport and treat the nation’s most critically ill and injured patients.
- MedEvac helicopters are most often associated with responding to the scene of an accident or trauma scene. In reality, roughly 70% of MedEvac patient transports are actually “inter-facility” which means from one hospital to another. The remaining 30% are actual patient transports from an accident scene such as a car crash.
- MedEvac helicopters are most often utilized for time-sensitive illnesses and injuries such as severe trauma, heart attacks or strokes.
- MedEvac helicopters travel at an estimated speed of two miles per minute, roughly twice the speed of a ground ambulance. Factor in traffic in densely populated areas and helicopter transport is even faster.
- MedEvac helicopters allow approximately 38% more of the population have access to trauma center care within the timeframe for the best clinical outcome.
- MedEvac helicopters provide significantly improved access to patients over dramatically larger geographic areas.
- MedEvac helicopters are crucial to patients isolated from ground EMS or hospitals by difficult terrain such as mountains, canyons, forests or islands.
- MedEvac helicopters have become the healthcare “safety net” as more community hospitals and emergency departments continue to close. Put simply, patients are required to be transported longer distances to appropriate care.
- MedEvac helicopters closely resemble a flying emergency department, trauma and critical care unit, all in one.
- Critical Care ground ambulances are like rolling Intensive Care Units (ICU’s), and are staffed with the same crew found in medEvac helicopters.
- MedEvac crews, in both helicopters and critical care ground ambulances, bring the most sophisticated skills, expertise, medications and equipment directly to patient and continue the highest level of patient care during transport.
- MedEvac crews generally only respond to calls involving the most critically ill and injured patients, therefore these care-givers become critical care specialists in trauma, heart attack and strokes.
- Studies show that MedEvac transport of trauma patients have reduced the number of days needed in the hospital/ICU and can result in better patient outcomes.
- As early as 1926, the United States Army Air Corps used a converted airplane to transport patients from Nicaragua to an Army hospital in Panama, 150 miles away.
- Routine MedEvac transport utilizing helicopters began during the Korean conflict in the 1950’s.
- The Maryland State Police aviation program transported the first critically injured trauma patient in the United States by helicopter in March of 1970.
- The first civilian hospital-based medical helicopter service in the United States was established in 1972 at St. Anthony’s Hospital in Denver, Colorado.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about MedEvac transport – (703) 836-8732.
Visit our News Releases section for breaking news.
ADAMS Database – the Atlas & Database of Air Medical Services (ADAMS) includes descriptive & geographic information on air medical service providers, their communication centers, base helipads, RW aircraft and receiving hospitals. The need for such a data resource is driven by newly-emerging Automatic Crash Notification (ACN) technologies which are changing both the content and the manner in which motor vehicle crash emergency messages are routed. In addition, ADAMS has attracted interest from homeland security and disaster response agencies.
Please contact AAMS to assist you in providing the information and experts you need:
Maryam Sabbagh, Director of Communications
(703) 836-8732 x105 / firstname.lastname@example.org