TO: AAMS Regular, Affiliate, Associate and Allied Members
FROM: AAMS Chair Marty Arkus
DATE: December 1, 2014
The MedEvac Foundation International’s Board of Trustees has elected AAMS At Large Director, Dave Thomson (one of our two cross-over board members) to serve as the Foundation’s Board Chair. Therefore, Dave has resigned his At-Large seat on the AAMS Board. We are very sorry to say good-bye to Dave, on the AAMS side, but look forward to working with him in his role on the Foundation Board.
Dave was elected as an At Large Director in the summer of 2013, and he started his term in October 2013; his term will expire in the fall of 2015, at the Air Medical Transport Conference (AMTC) in Long Beach, CA. Article V, Section 14 of the AAMS Bylaws stipulates how vacant board seats may be filled:
- The Board Chair shall appoint, subject to the approval of the Board, any vacancies on the Board of Directors that may occur mid-term. Any Director appointed by the Chair to fill a vacancy on the Board of Directors shall hold office for the unexpired term of his or her predecessor.
- Eligibility requirements for a Director appointed to fill a vacancy under this Section shall be identical to those required of the elected Director whose unexpired term he or she has been appointed to fill.
We now request all those interested in serving as an At Large Director on the AAMS Board of Directors, for the remainder of Dave Thomson’s unexpired term, to please submit a nomination packet, per the directions below.
- At Large Director Candidates must be currently employed by a Regular, Associate, Affiliate, Allied, or Chapter Member upon election. Candidates should be involved with the medical transport community for a minimum of one (1) year, three (3) years is preferable.
- A Regular Member may have only one representative on the Board of Directors.
- All candidates must not have already served three (3) consecutive terms in the same office.
- All candidates must be committed to undertaking the duties of the position outlined above.
- All candidates must be fluent in English.
- All candidates must submit a complete nomination application by the stated deadline.
- Candidates also must have administrative and financial support from their employer to fulfill the duties of a Board member.
Board Member Duties:
- Sign on to the mission, vision, and core values of the Association.
- Represent the best interests of all AAMS members during Board policy decision-making.
- Assist AAMS by serving as a communication link with members in your region/constituency by:
- Distributing information from the board to the members in your region/constituency or members you come in contact with:
- Gathering input from members to ensure member input into Board decisions;
- Conducting or attending regional/constituent meetings;
- Maintaining communications between AAMS and local, state, and regional agencies;
- Remaining current on members’ perspectives;
- Serve as chair, vice chair and/or board liaison to an assigned AAMS Committee, Section, SIG, Task Force, or allied organization;
- Establish and distribute goals to committee members;
- Facilitate communication and activities of the committee to set objectives and strategies;
- Work with staff to ensure appropriate and fiscally sound implementation of strategies and policies;
- Provide written Committee reports to the board and a written annual report of Committee activities for the members.
- Participate in regional and state chapter activities.
- Attend three (3) Board meetings each year, as well as an initial web based Board orientation, unless excused by the Board Chair.
- Regularly monitor board & committee listservs, responding in a timely manner to inquiries.
- Attend annual AAMS Membership Meeting.
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for the organization and agree to abide by the Board Code of Conduct.
- Sign the AAMS Board Conflict of Interest statement and agree to declare any real/potential conflicts on a regular basis.
- Encourage, participate in, and support regular association activities.
- Help to identify and recruit prospective members to the organization.
- Help to raise funds and contribute financially to the fundraising activities of both the association and its foundation.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Chair, President, or the Board of Directors.
HOW TO EXPRESS AN INTEREST IN SERVING:
The purpose of this notice is to make you aware of this open seat and to ask that anyone interested please contact the AAMS headquarters with the following:
- A letter of interest
- Candidate Resume (see requirements below)
- A letter of support by the candidate’s employer
- A letter of support from another Regular, Associate, Affiliate, Allied or Chapter member.
- A digital photo (headshot preferred) for use in association communications and publications.
Candidate Resume – Please send in a ONE-PAGE, typed Candidate Resume that includes the following items:
- Name Title Program/Company Affiliation
- Professional Experience
- Professional Association Memberships
- Professional Activities (lectures, research, articles/publications authored, etc.)
- Statement of Goals (if elected to serve on the Board)
- Special skills that you can bring the Board (e.g. accounting, marketing, negotiation, etc.)
All of the above items must be in the AAMS office by the deadline of
December 31, 2014 at 5 PM EDT (USA)
Completed nominations should be sent to Kristin Discher, AAMS Project Manager:
Association of Air Medical Services
909 North Washington Street, Suite 410
Alexandria, Virginia 22314-3143
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org